This week a few individuals and I from the VOX group met
with Alexa Nelen to do planning for the group itself. I am excited to have gone
to this meeting and personally talking to Alexa because it has given me a
better idea of the group’s goals and what our aim should be. We successfully
spoke about the main focus for VOX right now, which is to bring awareness about
Amendment 6 and trying to get voters to vote No on 6. With the election right
around the corner there are many things to do on behalf of VOX and so little
time. With that in mind, we need to stay aware of the time limit that is left
and try to get as much done as possible by doing phone-banking, getting voters
to sign pledge cards, and simply speaking to other individuals about the
amendment to help raise more awareness.
The
activism I've done this week relates to the chapter we are reading, by demonstrating
women inequality in numerous ways and by the government, economy, etc. trying
to make decisions for a woman regarding her body. Amendment 6 simply wants to
allow politicians to make medical decisions regarding a woman's body. By
working with VOX and urging voters to vote NO on Amendment 6 we are working
together as a community to stop this dominance over women's bodies. If we win
the vote on No on Amendment 6 it does not automatically mean that we will
attain an egalitarian society immediately but it is a step towards getting
there, which will take time to reach. I am having a hard time understanding why
is it that individuals other than women themselves are concerned and determined
in making decisions for women when we are perfectly capable of doing that
ourselves. In the chapter "Making a Home, Making a Living" writers
reflect on how choosing to have a family decreases the amount of money a woman
will make over a certain time period (Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 309). Case in point as it is described in the text
when a woman decides to create a family or in the case of a woman whom is
impoverished and doesn't have access to the proper health care when it comes to
contraceptives or abortion she is automatically striped from receiving fair pay
and is sometimes forced to do extra work. The decision on whether or not a
woman should have a family and when she should have a family should not be
based on fear of losing a job or diminishing a woman's role within that field.
In the article "The Mommy Tax" Ann Crittenden writes,
"Increasingly in today's driven workplace, whether she is blue or
white-collar, a woman who goes home when she is supposed to is going to
endanger her economic well-being." Our economic well-being shouldn't be
determined by the workplace. Although we are provided healthcare through our
jobs, these workplaces shouldn't tell us women how to handle our reproductive
system in terms of delaying motherhood. There is a difference between delaying
motherhood on our own because we want to do other things before getting there
and the decision already being made for us.
I am
excited for my involvement with VOX, but as the semester is quickly approaching
an end I feel as if I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about women
inequality and how it plays an important role in our daily lives. With the
information I am learning in VOX and the Women's Studies Course I feel that it
has helped me be more aware of things going on, but more importantly it has
helped me become a better activist. I catch myself most times educating my
peers and family about issues I had no clue were a big concern such as
Amendment 6. I will continue to deliver activism by doing those simple tasks
that Seely writes about in "Fight Like a Girl."
Works
Cited
Crittenden,
Ann. "The Mommy Tax." Women's
Lives. 5th ed. Eds. Kirk Gwyn and Margo Okazawa-Rey. New York:McGraw Hill.
2010. 341. Print.
Kirk, Gwyn
, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw
Hill, 2010. 309. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment