For my first campus engagement I attended the screening
of "Pueblos Hermanos/Brother
Towns" on October 25th. Before attending the event I wasn't sure on what
to expect, but I am happy that I attended because the documentary did not sugar
coat the actual things that are taking place when it comes to immigration.
While growing up in the United States, we as Americans take a lot of things for
granted things such as work, education, and family. This documentary shows the struggles third
world countries face and how hard it is to simply get by on a day-to-day basis.
The poverty that we have here in the United States is nowhere near the poverty
that takes place in these third world countries.
Since
it is hard for families to live a decent life in Guatemala and in other third
world countries, many people choose to immigrate to the United States to better
their chances of doing something with their lives. The Guatemaltecos that
choose to come to this country come with good intentions but the process that
they go through to get here and then stay isn't easy or fair for these
immigrants. The film demonstrates how in the town of Jupiter, FL there is a
place called "El Sol" that helps immigrants find jobs and keep busy.
This is where many conflicts arise because not everyone is for immigrants
staying here and neither do they want to see the contributions that immigrants
are providing us such as doing work that others aren't willing to do. The way
the immigrants are treated is unfair because they are here to help and contribute
to society in many ways other than just work. This documentary hits close to
home for me because as a young Hispanic woman I am discriminated against on a
daily basis it may not always be direct discrimination but it is there and it
is something I've dealt with since I became more aware of the issue regarding
Hispanics and Immigration. With that in mind this film and the Women's Studies
class itself has motivated me now more than ever to finish what I came here to
do at UCF and that is to graduate with my Bachelors degree in Biomedical
Science and pursue the goal of becoming a Doctor. Even though I am one of many
we all have to start somewhere and I feel that by setting the example in my
family I will make a difference and show others what I am capable of and what
the Hispanic community in general is capable of. This isn't something that is
going to be solved right away but I am hopeful that we will reach a point where
the majority of individuals will realize these issues and make a change for the
greater good of the whole.
Us at the Screening :)

No comments:
Post a Comment