Thursday, November 8, 2012

Campus Engagement 2


On November 6th, 2012 Barack Obama was reelected President of the United States. On that day I helped the VOX group to encourage voters to vote No on 6. Working with VOX in preparation for the 2012 Presidential Election was such an amazing and unforgettable experience. As a first time voter and actually getting involved it made me feel as if I made a huge difference by contributing in numerous ways, one of the most important ways was by actually going out to vote and making it count. Another way was by encouraging some of my friends and roommates to go do early voting with me. The group and I were located at the UCF arena where many voters went out to vote, there we handed out fliers that educated people about amendment 6 and spoke to students that wanted to know more about the amendment. We tried to make this a fun event for everyone, especially for voters waiting in line for hours upon hours by putting on a show thanks to the DJ. While putting on the show we were still promoting Voting No on 6 by holding signs and showing voters that we all care and want to make a difference. As mentioned before this is an unforgettable experience and I also feel that this is only the beginning for me in playing a role as an activist. Working with great people to help educate individuals to create a better place for all of us made me realize that every little bit counts. It also showed me how to be more involved and continue to stay involved as a beginning activist. Ever since I can remember I've always been a shy person, working with VOX on election day helped me break out of my shell a little bit more and made me think that if I believe in something I need to get out and speak out in order to be heard. I will try from here on out to have that attitude so that I do not get run over and speak for what I believe in.  


No comments:

Post a Comment